Protecting your retirement

Whether you’re migrating from, or returning to the UK, you might want to investigate your pensions but it can be a complicated step to take. Pension rules are constantly changing, not just in the UK but in many of the countries where you may be considering taking up residence.

By keeping abreast of a complex, changing market, we are able to advise you on if, when and how to handle your UK pensions to maximise their value and minimise the tax liability. We’ll carry out a full analysis of the pensions you hold and we’ll look at how to restructure your pensions before your departure.

Since 1995, we have been successfully helping clients with cross border pension solutions. We’ve worked closely with the HMRC to develop a structure for pensions’ migration and understand the complexities of tax regulation here in the UK and overseas.


 Pension Advice

If you’re living overseas and are considering transferring out of a UK Pension, you may need specialist financial advice in your country of current or future residence. Montfort can help you find an appropriately qualified adviser to assist with this in the country you live.

UK Pension Freedom legislation in 2015 means there is more flexibility but while the use of tax-free cash may be available to a UK tax resident, it’s not necessarily the case in other countries including Australia, Spain and New Zealand. This is a highly-specialised and technical area and we have significant experience in helping our expatriate clients.



Qualified Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes

A QROPS (Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme) is a personal pension that meets certain requirements of HMRC to enable it to receive transfers from UK pension schemes. They can be a useful option for those who qualify but there are a number of important factors that need to be taken into consideration before opting for this arrangement and you will need specialist financial advice. Montfort can help you find an appropriately qualified adviser to assist with this.